BACKGROUND

Thursday 10 November 2011

Fish Potato Scallop ~ Silakkalaatikko

It's been a typical autumn day here (cool and cozy) so I decided to cook up a warming Finnish dish for Martin and I tonight. It is sooo yummy! My grandma or Mummo we call her, makes this for us around Christmas time so for me it brings back lots of childhood memories.

The recipe is taken from "The Finnish Cookbook", a cookbook Mummo gave to Martin as a wedding present.


1 pound fresh small fish (herring, salmon, trout, or smelts) (* I used salmon)
4 large potatoes, peeled and sliced
1 onion, cut into thin slices
1 tbsp salt (I used 1 tsp)
3-4 slices bacon
2 cups milk
1 egg
1/4 cup fine dry bread crumbs (*I didn't use any)
2 tbsp butter

Clean the fish, removing the backbone. In a well-buttered 2 quart casserole arrange alternate layers of potato, fish and sliced onion (begin and end with potatoes), and sprinkle salt throughout. Lay the bacon on top. Mix the milk and egg together and pour over all. Sprinkle the top with bread crumbs (I didn't use any) and dot with butter. Bake in a moderately hot oven (375 deg F or 190 celsius) for 
1 hour or until the potatoes are done. Serves 4 to 6 people. 

Hyvää ruokahalua!! Bon appétit!!




No comments: